Saturday, May 8, 2010

Colonial Eye Candy




Here are the remaining photos from my trip to Colonial Williamsburg. They include visits to the wheelwright's and blacksmith's shops, and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum.

The bad news is, I didn't take very good notes (meaning, none) at the wheelwright's shop.

The good news is, Shannon Rogers did. Be sure to read his write up and see his video here.

The other bad news is, I didn't take very good notes (see above for definition) at the blacksmith's shop.

The good news is, the pictures include a guy in a kilt.
















The Abby Aldrich Museum features a number of galleries which showcase various categories of American folk art.

The period furniture and musical instruments galleries were my favorite, but paintings, textiles, and pottery are included in the enormous museum.

The bad news is, we had to leave Colonial Williamsburg, with all the wonderful things it has to offer.

The good news is, we bought yearly passes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all the great Colonial Williamsburg post Kari. This is my favorite place and my wife and I get annual passes every year. I have been sick for a few months and haven't had the chance to visit in a while, so these post have been extra special for me. Thanks again and great work! :)

Jamie Bacon

Anonymous said...

How long before you turn the outside and inside of your shop into something looking like CW? You probably wouldn't have much to do, as it is probably already close. Thanks for the photos, videos, and notes. Was there only once many years ago and wasn't paying much attention to woodworking then.
Alan Garner

naomi said...

Thanks for posting. Wow-a guy in a kilt? You gotta get Ethan on this!

Kari Hultman said...

Thanks, Jamie. I hope you're back on your feet (and in your shop) soon.

Alan, there was a time in your life when you weren't into woodworking??? Wait'll I tell the guys in the club. ; )

Naomi, I thought the same thing. :D

Woodbloke said...

"...the pictures include a guy in a kilt."

Hi Kari - Princess St in Edinburgh on New Years Eve is the place to see the 'Jockfrock'
Those wearing it though, are invariably very drunk... - Rob

Kari Hultman said...

Rob, you always teach me new words. Now I'll add jockfrock to my repertoire. :D

badger said...

I'm amused by your pictures, you took a lot of the same ones I did on my recent trip over there.

That 1710 carved chest captivated me for a long time. I hope to one day to be able to make something like that.

badger

Ethan said...

Hmmm... kilted woodworking...

naomi said...

Haha! Finally, Ethan! ;-)

Kari Hultman said...

Badger, I don't know if you saw the video I made of Peter Follansbee at last year's WIA or not, but in the film he shows some carving techniques. You can see the film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQix91e7Rs4

Ethan, thinking about it? ; )

Ethan said...

Weird that I would find this post again TODAY, isn't it?

Still thinking about it. :)

And now that I have my Mocha Survival Utilikilt, I don't have to worry about ruining my formal wool one!

And I'm just a short time away from having a much better shop space set up that is conducive to filming with something like my FLIP cam.

(No flip shots with the FLIP cam, though. This would be MODEST kilted woodworking, natch.)

(HAHA... how very appropriate that my security word would be "buminsuc" - or, "bumins, you see?")