Sunday, September 30, 2007

Overzealous

I love to hand cut dovetails and I love boxes, so when I found a little piece of birds-eye maple in the basement (my former shop) I decided to make a miniature version of a box I made a few years ago, one with a sliding lid. The little one measures 4" long.

Fitting the lid in the grooves and obtaining a snug, but movable fit, is something I have yet to achieve. Not because I'm not careful or patient, but because I can't seem to stop myself once I start handplaning. I think it must mesmerize me to hear that swoosh swoosh and see those ribbons of shavings spill out of
the plane's mouth.

Once I realize that I should probably check the fit, it's too late. Both lids slide off way too easily. Guess it's just a reason to make another box...

6 comments:

LadyBurg said...

What a cute little box. Wait....can I say that about woodworking?.....

Kari Hultman said...

I'll take "cute"!

daveh said...

gee, do you make all this stuff? everything looks beautiful, there is just something , what is it? about making little boxes, isn'
t there?

Kari Hultman said...

Daveh, I agree that making boxes, or anything that is attractive and functional, is very rewarding. Are you a woodworker?

Extremely Average said...

I thike that those two boxes are really impressive. I am trying to learn to hand cut dovetails now. It is a fun, and a skill that I will treasure, once I get it down. It is a good thing I am obsessive compulsive about learning things though, as I suspect it will take quite a bit of time to learn.

Cyberchang said...

Sometimes when stuff fits too loosely, I rub a gum rubber eraser down along both edges, leaving behind bits of rubber. These rubber shavings act like the reverse of ball bearings.