Friday, November 23, 2007

Marking Gauge

Marking gauges come in several styles. I own two from Lee Valley and several from antique stores and other woodworking stores. I have altered the points on some by filing one side flat to make a knife edge, which improves their performance. None of them work as well, however, as the one Steve Latta taught me how to make in a class at Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe. Steve's design works like other marking (and slicing) gauges, but with improvements. For instance, the knurled knob is on the bottom where it doesn't get in the way of your hand and it uses replaceable exacto blades, which are mortised into the wood behind the brass plate. The end of the blade is filed down a bit, so the tip doesn't break off in use. This gauge also excels at cutting thin strips of wood for inlay. Plus, it was fun (and easy) to make!

7 comments:

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

You changed your colours again???

I like it.

I have nothing to say about marking guages.

Kari Hultman said...

Color changes occur when I'm in work-avoidance mode.

Unknown said...

I have never used one. So I suppose that makes me a non-woodworker.

(You would probably gag to find out how I do most of my woodworking projects, anyway.)

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty bit of work! Has/could/might your teacher - or you with his permission - post a 'how to' on your blog or elsewhere on the net?
That would be a terrific thing for the holidays! peace.

Kari Hultman said...

I'm sorry that I don't have time before the holidays to make another marking gauge, otherwise, I'd be happy to post a how-to, with Steve's permission.

I believe that Lie-Nielsen is coming out with a DVD of Steve's techniques in inlay and in making this gauge and other tools for making inlay.

You could always try contacting Steve directly; he teaches full-time at Thaddeus Stevens College: www.stevenstech.org

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, I'll watch for the dvd and leave the man in peace. Happy holidays.

oldfox said...

Screws into end-grain?
Never!